S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
Application of fault tree analysis to the service process: service tree analysis approach
- Geum, Youngjung; Seol, Hyeonju; Lee, Sungjoo; Park, Yongtae
- Issue Date
- EMERALD GROUP PUBLISHING LIMITED
- JOURNAL OF SERVICE MANAGEMENT; Vol.20 3-4; 433-454
- Purpose - This study aims to propose a tree-based analytic tool that may be used in analyzing a large-scale and complex service process. The tenet of this tool is based on the Boolean logic and named service tree analysis (STA). The proposed STA aims to reflect the customer participation perspective and to propose how to analyze the service process and deduce useful information. Design/methodology/approach - Fault tree analysis is used as an underlying methodology since it has a Boolean logic to describe the customer''''''''s selection of each element and identifies critical events. Taking these advantages of the fault tree, the proposed STA consists of three main parts; service tree construction, qualitative analysis, and quantitative analysis. First, a service tree is constructed depending on how the service elements are selected by the customer; If the subordinate events are always selected by customers, they are linked with an AND gate, otherwise, with an OR gate. Next, in the qualitative analysis, service elements are characterized as core services, supporting services, and optional services by deducing a minimal service cut set. Last, qualitative analysis deals with deriving the impact of each service element based on the Kano model. Findings - The suggested STA has advantages which help strategic operation and management of the service process. Originality/value - This study is unique and even exploratory in that it first adopts the notion of tree analysis in structuring a large-scale, complex service system. Further, the proposed service tree provides a systematic approach from customer participation perspective, which makes the service process to be managed efficiently.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.