S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Material Science and Engineering (재료공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_재료공학부)
Confocal Microscopy Measurement of the Fiber Orientation in Short Fiber Reinforced Plastics
- Lee, Kwang Seok; Lee, Seok Won; Youn, Jae Ryoun; Kang, Tae Jin; Chung, Kwansoo
- Issue Date
- Fibers and Polymers, 2, 41 (2001)
- Confocal laser scanning microscopy; Injection molding; Fiber orientation; Orientation tensor; Image processing
- To determine three-dimensional fiber orientation states in injection-molded short fiber composites a CLSM (Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope) is used. Since the CLSM optically sections the composites, more than two cross-sections either on or below the surface of the composite can be obtained. Three dimensional fiber orientation states can be determined with geometric parameters of fibers on two parallel cross-sections. For experiment, carbon fiber reinforced polystyrene is examined by the CLSM. Geometric parameters of fibers are measured by image analysis. In order to compactly describe fiber orientation states, orientation tensors are used. Orientation tensors are determined at different positions of the prepared spe cimen.
Three dimensional orientation states are obtained without the difficulty in determining the out-of-plane angles by utilizing images on two parallel planes acquired by the CLSM. Orientation states are different at different positions and show the
shell-core structure along the thickness of the specimen.
- 1229-9197 (print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.