S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Laboratory Medicine (검사의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_검사의학전공)
Correlation between plasma activity of ADAMTS-13 and coagulopathy, and prognosis in disseminated intravascular coagulation
- Hyun, Jungwon; Kim, Hyun Kyung; Kim, Ji-Eun; Lim, Min-Gyu; Park, Seonyang; Cho, Han-Ik; Jung, Jae Seol
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- THROMBOSIS RESEARCH; Vol.124 1; 75-79
- ADAMTS-13; Prognosis; ULvWF; Unusually large von Willebrand factor; Coagulopathy; A disintegrin-like and metalloprotease with thrombospondin type 1 repeats; DIC; Disseminated intravascular coagulation
- Introduction: In disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC), widespread activation of intravascular coagulation accompanied with florid endothelial activation results in release of unusually large von Willebrand factor (ULvWF) from endothelium. Circulating a disintegrin-like and metalloprotease with thrombospondin type I repeats (ADAMTS)-13 may be consumed through the ongoing cleavage of ULvWF, resulting in a secondary deficiency of ADAMTS-13 in DIC. We determined whether ADAMTS-13 activity showed a significant correlation with the activation status of the coagulation system and hospital mortality in DIC. Materials and methods: ADAMTS-13 activity was assayed by fluorescence resonance energy transfer assay in 97 patients who were clinically suspected to have DIC. Results: ADAMTS-13 activity gradually decreased based on the DIC score and D-dimer levels and was correlated with the antithrombin level, representing the consumption of ADAMTS-13 during the ongoing coagulation process. There were no correlation between ADAMTS-13 activity and neutrophil CD64 expression as a neutrophil activation marker and circulating IL-6 level as an inflammatory marker. Patients with a low activity of ADAMTS-13 (<= 56.4%) had a poor survival rate compared to patients with a high activity of ADAMTS-13. Conclusions: We conclude that ADAMTS-13 activity is strongly correlated with the severity of coagulopathy and hospital mortality. ADAMTS-13 may serve as a diagnostic and prognostic marker of DIC. (C) 2008 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.