S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Physiology (생리학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_생리학교실)
Functional characteristics of TRPC4 channels expressed in HEK 293 cells
- Sung, Tae Sik; Kim, Min Ji; Jeon, Jae-Pyo; Kim, Byung Joo; Hong, Soojin; Jeon, Ju-Hong; So, Insuk; Kim, Seon Jeong
- Issue Date
- KOREAN SOC MOLECULAR & CELLULAR BIOLOGY
- MOLECULES AND CELLS; Vol.27 2; 167-173
- desensitization; pH; nonselective cation channel; transient receptor potential channel; TRPC5; TRPC4
- The classical type of transient receptor potential (TRPC) channel is a molecular candidate for Ca(2+)-permeable cation channels in mammalian cells. Because TRPC4 and TRPC5 belong to the same subfamily of TRPC, they have been assumed to have the same physiological properties. However, we found that TRPC4 had its own functional characteristics different from those of TRPC5. TRPC4 channels had no constitutive activity and were activated by muscarinic stimulation only when a muscarinic receptor was co-expressed with TRPC4 in human embryonic kidney (HEK) cells. Endogenous muscarinic receptor appeared not to interact with TRPC4. TPRC4 activation by GTP gamma S was not desensitized. TPRC4 activation by GTP gamma S was not inhibited by either Rho kinase inhibitor or MLCK inhibitor. TRPC4 was sensitive to external pH with pK (a) of 7.3. Finally, TPRC4 activation by GTP gamma S was inhibited by the calmodulin inhibitor W-7. We conclude that TRPC4 and TRPC5 have different properties and their own physiological roles.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.