S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Experimental Bone Biopsies Using Two Bone Biopsy Needles: Quantitative Micro-CT Analysis of Bone Specimens
- Park, Eun-Ah; Hong, Sung Hwan; Kim, Kwang Gi; Choi, Ja-Young; Kang, Heung Sik; Shin, Chan Soo
- Issue Date
- ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC
- ACADEMIC RADIOLOGY; Vol.16 3; 332-340
- Micro-computed tomography; bone biopsy; trabecular thickness; bone histomorphometry; microstructure
- Rationale and Objectives. The aim of this study was to investigate whether samples obtained using two kinds of small trephines, 2.4 and 1.8 mm in inner diameter, are sufficient for the quantitative evaluation of metabolic bone disease using micro-computed tomographic (CT) three-dimensional parameter data sets. Materials and Methods. A total of 19 porcine lumbar vertebrae prior to biopsy and biopsy samples from the use of 2.4- and 1.8-mm trephines were examined using micro-CT imaging. For quantitative analysis, seven three-dimensional structural parameters, including trabecular bone volume, trabecular number, trabecular thickness, trabecular separation, the structure model index, the degree of anisotropy, and the trabecular bone pattern factor, were measured using CtAn software. The difference and agreement between the biopsy samples and the baseline vertebrae specimens before biopsy were assessed using paired t tests and Bland-Altman analysis, respectively. Results. There were no significant differences between the 2.4-mm samples and the baseline vertebrae specimens for trabecular bone volume, trabecular thickness, and trabecular number, with mean differences of -0.9%, 2.3%, and -3.1%, respectively; there was no significant difference between the 1.8-mm samples and the baseline vertebrae specimens only for trabecular thickness, with a mean difference of 1.9%. Conclusion. Samples taken from the use of the 2.4-mm trephine were better for quantitative analysis than those from the use of the 1.8-mm trephine and were acceptable for the quantitative evaluation of trabecular bone volume, trabecular thickness, and trabecular number.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.