S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Diagnostic Accuracy of T and N Stages With Endoscopy, Stomach Protocol CT, and Endoscopic Ultrasonography in Early Gastric Cancer
- Ahn, Hye Seong; Lee, Hyuk-Joon; Yoo, Moon-Won; Kim, Sang Gyun; Kim, Se Hyung; Lee, Kuhn Uk; Yang, Han-Kwang; Kim, Woo Ho; Im, Jong Pil
- Issue Date
- JOURNAL OF SURGICAL ONCOLOGY; Vol.99 1; 20-27
- early gastric cancer; diagnostic accuracy; computed tomography; endoscopic ultrasonography; endoscopy; limited treatment
- Background: Preoperative accurate diagnosis of the T and N stages in early gastric cancer (EGC) is important in determining the application of various limited treatments. The aim of this study is to analyze the accuracy of T and N staging of EGC with esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD), Stomach protocol CT (S-CT), and endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS), and the factors influencing the accuracy. Methods: Four hundred and thirty-four patients preoperatively diagnosed as EGC using EGD or S-CT and undergoing curative gastrectomy at Seoul National University Hospital in 2005 were included. The T and N stage reviewed by experienced personnel were compared with the surgical pathology. Results: The predictive values for EGC of EGD, S-CT, and EUS were 87.4%, 92.2%, and 94. 1 %, respectively. The predictive values for node negativity of S-CT, and EUS were 90.1% and 92.6%, respectively. The factors leading to underestimation of T stage with EGD were the upper third location, the size greater than 2 cm, and diffuse type of tumor. Those with S-CT were female sex, the upper third location and lesion size greater than 2 cm. Conclusions: Before applying limited treatment for EGC, a surgeon should consider the risk factors of underestimation of T stage with EGD or S-CT.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.