S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pathology (병리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_병리학전공)
Segmentation of Cerebral Gyri in the Sectioned Images by Referring to Volume Model
- Park, Jin Seo; Chung, Min Suk; Chi, Je-Geun; Park, Hyo Seok; Shin, Dong Sun
- Issue Date
- KOREAN ACAD MEDICAL SCIENCES
- JOURNAL OF KOREAN MEDICAL SCIENCE; Vol.25 12; 1710-1715
- Visible Human Projects; Cerebrum; Brain Mapping; Three-Dimensional; Imaging; Neuroanatomy; Cross-Sectional; Frozen Sections; Anatomy
- Authors had prepared the high-quality sectioned images of a cadaver head. For the delineation of each cerebral gyrus, three-dimensional model of the same brain was required. The purpose of this study was to develop the segmentation protocol of cerebral gyri by referring to the three-dimensional model on the personal computer. From the 114 sectioned images (intervals, 1 mm), a cerebral hemisphere was outlined. On MRIcro software, sectioned images including only the cerebral hemisphere were volume reconstructed. The volume model was rotated to capture the lateral, medial, superior, and inferior views of the cerebral hemisphere. On these four views, areas of 33 cerebral gyri were painted with colors. Derived from the painted views, the cerebral gyri in sectioned images were identified and outlined on the Photoshop to prepare segmented images. The segmented images were used for production of volume and surface models of the selected gyri. The segmentation method developed in this research is expected to be applied to other types of images, such as MRIs. Our results of the sectioned and segmented images of the cadaver brain, acquired in the present study, are hopefully utilized for medical learning tools of neuroanatomy.