S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pediatrics (소아과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_소아과학전공)
Ischemic Stroke in a 7-Month-Old Infant With Antiphospholipid Antibody and Homozygous C677T Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase (MTHFR) Polymorphism
- Kim, Se Hee; Hwang, Hee; Chae, Jong Hee; Kim, Ki Joong; Lim, Byung Chan; Hwang, Yong Seung
- Issue Date
- SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC
- JOURNAL OF CHILD NEUROLOGY; Vol.25 8; 1047-1050
- infant; methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase; antiphospholipid antibody; stroke; risk factor
- Prothrombotic risk factors in children with ischemic stroke have been increasingly recognized with recent developments in technology. Extensive evaluation including a detailed family history is required to identify various inherited or acquired prothrombotic conditions. We report a 7-month-old male who presented with right hemiparesis. Acute cerebral infarction in the area supplied by the left lenticulostriate artery was confirmed through magnetic resonance imaging. De novo synthesis of antiphospholipid antibodies and homozygous methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphism were identified as presumed prothrombotic risk factors. His twin sister and mother were also positive for antiphospholipid antibodies. Multiple risk factors for ischemic stroke should be considered, particularly in the perinatal and infancy period. This case also underlines the rare familial occurrence of antiphospholipid antibodies and its relationship to ischemic stroke in infancy.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.