S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pathology (병리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_병리학전공)
Clinical Practice Guideline for Accurate Diagnosis and Effective Treatment of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor in Korea
- Kang, Yoon-Koo; Kim, Kyoung-Mee; Sohn, Taesung; Choi, Dongil; Ryu, Min-Hee; Yang, Han-Kwang; Kim, Woo Ho; Kang, Hye Jin
- Issue Date
- KOREAN ACAD MEDICAL SCIENCES
- JOURNAL OF KOREAN MEDICAL SCIENCE; Vol.25 11; 1543-1552
- Guideline; Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors; Diagnosis; Imatinib; Sunitinib; Chemotherapy, Targeted; Treatment; Surgery
- Despite the rarity in incidence and prevalence, gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST) has emerged as a distinct pathogenetic entity. And the clinical management of GIST has been evolving very rapidly due to the recent recognition of its oncogenic signal transduction pathway and the introduction of new molecular-targeted therapy. Successful management of GIST requires a multidisciplinary approach firmly based on accurate histopathologic diagnosis. However, there was no standardized guideline for the management of Korean GIST patients. In 2007, the Korean GIST study group (KGSG) published the first guideline for optimal diagnosis and treatment of GIST in Korea. As the second version of the guideline, we herein have updated recent clinical recommendations and reflected changes in diagnosis, surgical and medical treatments for more optimal clinical practice for GIST in Korea. We hope the guideline can be of help in enhancing the quality of diagnosis by members of the Korean associate of physicians involving in GIST patients` care and subsequently in achieving optimal efficacy of treatment.