S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Change in Antibiotic Resistance of Helicobacter pylori Strains and the Effect of A2143G Point Mutation of 23S rRNA on the Eradication of H-pylori in a Single Center of Korea
- Hwang, Tae Jun; Kim, Nayoung; Kim, Hong Bin; Lee, Byoung Hwan; Park, Ji Hyun; Park, Young Soo; Jung, Hyun Chae; Song, In Sung; Lee, Dong Ho; Lee, Mi Kyoung; Nam, Ryoung Hee
- Issue Date
- LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS
- JOURNAL OF CLINICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY; Vol.44 8; 536-543
- Background: The current prevalence of primary antibiotic resistance of H. pylori is not known in Korea. This study was done to evaluate the prevalence of primary antibiotic resistance of H. pylori, and to evaluate the effect of point mutations of 23S rRNA on the rate of eradication of H. pylori. Methods: H. pylori were isolated from gastric mucosal biopsy specimens obtained from 222 Koreans. The susceptibilities of the H. pylori isolates to amoxicillin, clarithromycin, metronidazole, tetracycline, ciprofloxacin, and levofloxacin were examined using the agar dilution method. DNA sequencing was carried out to detect H. pylori 23S rRNA mutations. Results: The resistance to clarithromycin, tetracycline, ciprofloxacin, and levofloxacin increased during the period of 2007 to 2009 compared with 2003 to 2005 (P < 0.05). However, amoxicillin and metronidazole resistance slightly decreased. The rates of eradication were 95.5% for the clarithromycin-sensitive strains, which was higher than the 67.9% for the clarithromycin-resistant strains (P = 0.001). By contrast, the eradication rate was 100% in patients with amoxicillin-resistant H. pylori. Among 26 clarithromyin-resistant strains, 6 (23%) had A2143G mutations, and all of the cases in which these mutations were present were not eradicated by proton pump inhibitor-based triple therapy (P = 0.0004). By contrast, none of the 26 clarithromyin-sensitive strains had A2143G mutations. The T2183C and A2223G mutations were frequently found in the sensitive strains and in the resistant strains. Conclusions: Clarithromycin resistance of H. pylori, which determined the efficacy of H. pylori eradication of proton pump inhibitor triple regimen, was found to be increased in a single center study. A2143G was an important 23S rRNA mutation associated with clarithromycin resistance and affected the H. pylori eradication efficacy.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.