S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Psychiatry (정신과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_정신과학전공)
Neurotrophin-3 gene, intelligence, and selective attention deficit in a Korean sample with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Cho, Soo-Churl; Kim, Hyo-Won; Kim, Boong-Nyun; Kim, Jae-Won; Cho, Dae-Yeon; Jung, Sun-Woo; Chung, In-Won; Son, Jung-Woo; Chung, Un-Sun; Yoo, Hee Jeong; Chung, Seockhoon; Shin, Min-Sup
- Issue Date
- PERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
- PROGRESS IN NEURO-PSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY & BIOLOGICAL PSYCHIATRY; Vol.34(6); 1065-1069
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD); Genetic polymorphism; Continuous performance test; Impulsivity; Intelligence
- Objective: Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a complex neurodevelopmental disorder with a strong genetic component. Neurotrophin-3 (NTF3), which participates in the differentiation and survival of dopaminergic and noradrenergic neurons, has been identified as a factor in the development of ADHD. We investigated the relationships between ADHD and NTF3 gene polymorphism. Methods: We conducted a case-control analysis of 202 ADHD subjects and 159 controls, performed a transmission disequilibrium test (TDT) on 151 trios, and compared the intelligence quotient (IQ) and a continuous performance test (CPT) according to the genotype of two single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) (rs6332 and rs6489630) in the NTF3 gene. Results: In the case-control and family-based analyses, NTF3 was not significantly associated with ADHD. However, in the ADHD probands, the subjects with AA genotype in the rs6332 SNP had significantly higher mean T-scores for commission errors on the CPT than did those with the AG genotypes (p = 0.045). The mean IQ of the ADHD probands who had the CC genotype of the rs6489630 SNP were higher compared with those who had the CT or TT genotype (p = 0.035). The mean T-score for response time on the CPT was higher in the subjects with TT genotype in the rs6489630 SNP compared to those with the CC or CT genotype, even after adjusting for the effect of IQ (p = 0.021). Conclusions: These results provide preliminary evidence of an association between NTF3 and the intelligence and selective attention deficit in the Korean population.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.