S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
A biocompatibility study of a reinforced acrylic-based hybrid denture composite resin with polyhedraloligosilsesquioxane
- Kim, S.K.; Heo, S.J.; Koak, J.Y.; Lee, J.H.; Chung, D.J.; Hong, S.D.; Lee, J.I.; Lee, Y.M.
- Issue Date
- Blackwell Publishing
- Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, Vol.34, No.5, pp.389-395
- Acrylic denture base resin; Biocompatibility; Hybrid system; Polyhedraloligosilsesquioxane; Mutagenicity
- Acrylic-based denture materials have several common weak points, such as shrinkage after curing, lack of strength and toxicity. In order to solve these problems, we adapted a hybrid system using acrylic polymer and polyhedraloligosilsesquioxane (POSS). The aim of the study was to investigate the biocompatibility of a reinforced acrylic-based hybrid denture composite resin with POSS. Specimens of a novel polymeric denture base resin, in which POSS was used to partially replace the commonly used base monomer, were fabricated. In order to examine changes in biocompatibility with time, fresh specimens, along with specimens soaked in distilled water for 24 and 72 h were fabricated. Three other types of acrylic denture base resins were used to prepare the resin specimens. Biocompatibility (as measured by a metabolic assay, an agar overlay test, and a mutagenesis assay) of the composites was tested. The metabolic and mutagenesis assays were conducted with pure culture medium as a control. In this study, the reinforced acrylic-based hybrid denture composite resin with POSS showed improved biocompatibility and lower mutagenicity than the control. Statistical examinations showed the cell metabolic activity of the novel polymeric denture base resin in the 72-h immersion case as having almost the same inclination as the control. We hope that these results might aid in the development of a reinforced acrylic-based denture resin. 짤 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.