S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
Platelet derived growth factor releasing chitosan sponge for periodontal bone regeneration
- Park, Yoon Jeong; Lee, Yong Moo; Park, Si Nae; Sheen, Seung Yoon; Lee, Seung Jin; Chung, Chong Pyoung
- Issue Date
- Biomaterials; Vol.21, No.2, pp.153-159
- Chitosan sponge; Platelet-derived growth factor-BB; Controlled release; Periodontal bone regeneration
- With an aim of improving bone regeneration, chitosan sponge containing platelet-derived growth factor-BB (PDGF-BB) were developed. For fabrication of chitosan sponge, chitosan solution was freeze-dried, crosslinked and freeze-dried again. PDGF-BB was incorporated into the chitosan sponge by soaking chitosan sponge into the PDGF-BB solution. Release kinetics of PDGF-BB, cell attachment, proliferation capacity and bony regenerative potentials of PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge were investigated. Prepared chitosan sponge retained porous structure with 100 lm pore diameter that was suitable for cellular migration and growth. Release rate of PDGF-BB could be controlled by varying initial loading content of PDGF-BB to obtain optimal therapeutic e$cacy. PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge induced signi"cantly high cell attachment and proliferation level, which indicated good cellular adaptability. PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge demonstrated marked increase in new bone formation and rapid calci"cation. Degradation of the chitosan sponge was proceeded at defect site and subsequently replaced with new bone. Histomorphometric
analysis con"rmed that PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge signi"cantly induced new bone formation. These results suggested that
chitosan sponge and PDGF-BB-loaded chitosan sponge may be bene"cial to enhance periodontal bone regeneration.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.