S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
The odontogenic ameloblast-associated protein (ODAM) cooperates with RUNX2 and modulates enamel mineralization via regulation of MMP-20
- Lee, Hye-Kyung; Lee, Dong-Seol; Ryoo, Hyun-Mo; Park, Jong-Tae; Bae, Hyun-Sook; Park, Su-Jin; Cho, Moon-Il; Park, Joo-Cheol
- Issue Date
- Journal of Cellular Biochemistry; Vol.111, No.3, pp.755-767
- The definitive version is available at www3.interscience.wiley.com
- We have previously reported that the odontogenic ameloblast-associated protein (ODAM) plays important roles in enamel mineralization through the regulation of matrix metalloproteinase-20 (MMP-20). However, the precise function of ODAM in MMP-20 regulation remains largely unknown. The aim of the present study was to uncover the molecular mechanisms responsible for MMP-20 regulation. The subcellular localization of ODAM varies in a stage-specific fashion during ameloblast differentiation. During the secretory stage of amelogenesis ODAM was localized to both the nucleus and cytoplasm of ameloblasts. However, during the maturation stage of amelogenesis, ODAM was observed\ in the cytoplasm and at the interface between ameloblasts and the enamel layer, but not in the nucleus. Secreted ODAM was detected in the\ conditioned medium of ameloblast-lineage cell line (ALC) from days 14 to 21, which coincided with the maturation stage of amelogenesis. Interestingly, the expression of Runx2 and nuclear ODAM correlated with MMP-20 expression in ALC. We therefore examined whether ODAM cooperates with Runx2 to regulate MMP-20 and modulate enamel mineralization. Increased expression of ODAM and Runx2 augmented MMP-20 expression, and Runx2 expression enhanced expression of ODAM, although overexpression of ODAM did not influence Runx2 expression. Conversely, loss of Runx2 in ALC decreased ODAM expression, resulting in down-regulation of MMP-20 expression. Increased MMP-20 expression accelerated amelogenin processing during enamel mineralization. Our data suggest that Runx2 regulates the expression of ODAM and that nuclear ODAM serves an important regulatory function in the mineralization of enamel through the regulation of MMP-20 apart from a different, currently unidentified, function of extracellular ODAM. ⓒ 2010 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.