S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
The relationship between periodontitis and metabolic syndrome among a Korean nationally representative sample of adults
- Kwon, Young-Eun; Ha, Jung-Eun; Paik, Dai-Il; Jin, Bo-Hyoung; Bae, Kwang-Hak
- Issue Date
- John Wiley & Sons
- Journal of Clinical Periodontology; Vol.38, No.9, pp.781-786
- Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination (KNHANES); relationship; metabolic syndrome; periodontal disease
- Aims: The aim of this study was to examine whether metabolic syndrome (MS) is associated with periodontitis in a representative sample of Korean adults, who were involved in the Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES). Materials and Methods: A total of 7178 subjects over the age of 19 years who participated in KNHANES were examined. MS was defined as the definition proposed by the National Cholesterol Education Program Adult Treatment Panel III and the abdominal obesity cut-off line based on Korean Society for the Study of Obesity. The periodontal status was assessed by the Community Periodontal Index. Multivariate logistic regression analysis was carried out adjusting for the sociodemographics, oral health behaviours and status, and health behaviour. All analyses considered a complex sampling design, and multivariate analysis was also performed in the subgroups (age, gender, current smoking status). Results: Multivariate logistic regression analysis revealed significant associations between MS and periodontitis. After adjusting for all covariates, the adjusted odds ratio (OR) of periodontitis (community periodontal index3) was 1.55 (1.32-1.83) for MS. In subgroup analysis, periodontitis is associated with MS in subjects over age 40 and the adjusted ORs were higher in females and in the smoker group than in males and in non-smokers. Conclusions: MS is associated with periodontitis. ⓒ 2011 John Wiley & Sons A/S.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.