S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
Digital identity: How users value the attributes of online identifiers
- Mueller, Milton; Park, Yuri; Lee, Jongsu; Kim, Tai-Yoo
- Issue Date
- Information Economics and Policy 18, 405-422
- Identifiers; Identification; Identity management systems; Authentication; Privacy; Data protection; Economies of scope; Network externalities; Switching costs; Conjoint analysis
- This paper examines online identifiers from an economic perspective. It uses conjoint analysis survey
techniques to develop empirical data on how users value the attributes of online identifiers. It is concerned
in particular with three issues: (1) the degree to which identified subjects value increasing the
scope of an identifier, i.e., the ability to use a single identifier to access services offered by several organizations;
(2) the degree to which users choice may be constrained by switching costs; and (3) the value
individuals place on privacy and data security relative to other attributes such as cost or scope. The survey
population was located in South Korea. The results indicate that e-mail addresses dominate the
world of online identifiers for ordinary consumers; that consumers highly value increased scope
(e.g., single sign-on capabilities) and the security of their private data; and that switching costs are high.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.