S-Space College of Social Sciences (사회과학대학) Institute for Korean Regional Studies (국토문제연구소) 지리학논총 별호 지리학논총 별호 Volume 14/15 (1992)
시멘트 工業이 地域의 雇傭에 미치는 影響 - 丹陽郡 梅浦地域을 中心으로 -
The Impact of Cement Industry on Regional Employment :The Case Study of Maepo -Eub, Danyang - Gun
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 국토문제연구소
- 지리학논총 별호, Vol.15, pp. 1-161
- This study aims to analyze the impact of cement industry on regional employment.
For this study Maepo-Eub was selected as study area, where three cement factories are located. The data for analysis were obtained from interviews, questionaire surveys and the employee list of each cement factory.
The analytic procedures for this study are as fol1ows:
1) The change of regional employment was analyzed by developmental stage of cement industry in terms of the permanent address , education level , occupational status of the employee.
2) The degree of population growth and population structure are analyzed by comparison between the study area and the whole Korea.
3) The consciousness of the residents in relation to the development of cement industry is explained according to their occupations.
Some conclusions from this study are as fol1ows:
1) In Korea, plenty of limestone is widely distributed. Though many cement factories were located in northern part of Korea before 1945, newly constructed cement factories are located in mountain region of Taebaek. Main cement factories are located in the producing center of raw material. The branch factories and remicon factories are located in the metropolitan areas and industrial cities. The study area, Maep was developed as the main cement producing region. The favorable conditions of Maepo as a cement industry area are as follows: plenty
of lime stone and clay, conveniency of rai1 road networks, and easy access to coal field.
2) The process of the development of cement industry in Korea can be divided into three periods. The first is the ruling period of Japanese Imperialism when cement factor i es were bui 1 t by Japanese and played the role of Japanese war base. The second is the period from 1945 to 1960, during which needed much cement demand for the construction of building destroyed during the Korean War. The third is the period of industialization and urbanization since 1960. Maepo cement factories were constructed during the third period.
3) As the three cement factories were built at Maepo in'the 1960s, there were plenty of employment opportunities. Thus many technicians and workers flooded in. In the 1970 s through the expansion of production facilities there were much more immigrants to the industrial region, while there were outflow in the rural areas. In the 1980 s the opportuni ty for the employment of cement factories was
being decreased through automation and the introduction of large-size machine.
4) Among the employee of three cement factories a native of
Chungcheongbuk-do(65~ in them Danyang 52~, Jecheon 32~) is most , the next is Kangwon-do(13~)， and the next is Kyungsangbuk-do(ll~) adjacent to
Chungcheongbuk-do. It means that there are more employment opportunity in the near of cement factories.