S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Neurology (신경과학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_신경과학교실)
Characteristics of patients with epilepsy who use a website providing healthcare information about epilepsy in South Korea
- Koo, Yong Seo; Yang, Kyung-Sook; Seok, Hung Youl; Lee, Sang Kun; Lee, Il Keun; Cho, Yong Won; Lee, Joo Hwa; Hwang, Hee; Kim, Ki Joong; Jung, Ki-Young
- Issue Date
- Epilepsy & Behavior, Vol.25 No.2, pp. 156-161
- 의약학; Epilepsy; Information; Internet; Website; Self-management; Attitude; Satisfaction; Education
- We studied characteristics of epilepsy patients who use 'Epilia', a healthcare website for epilepsy patients, and the impact of 'Epilia' on patient satisfaction and attitude about epilepsy. A total of 153 epilepsy patients from 'Epilia' #online group# and 367 patients from epilepsy clinics #offline group# were recruited. A survey was done to investigate their socio-demographic, epilepsy-related, and psychological characteristics, as well as attitude alterations after beginning to use 'Epilia'. Factors affecting attitude were also identified in the online group. Online group had more severe and more frequent seizures, more adverse effects, more anxiety and depression, and worse quality of life than offline group. Online group patients who are more satisfied, who take two or more antiepileptic drugs, who visit to 'Epilia' more and longer had a greater positive attitude change than those without these characteristics. A healthcare website can contribute to self-management by providing useful information and education for epilepsy patients. #c# 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.