S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Neurology (신경과학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_신경과학교실)
Prevalence of sleep-disordered breathing in acute ischemic stroke as determined using a portable sleep apnea monitoring device in Korean subjects
- Joo, Byung-Euk; Seok, Hung Youl; Yu, Sung-Wook; Kim, Byung-Jo; Park, Kun-Woo; Lee, Dae-Hie; Jung, Ki-Young
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Sleep and Breathing, Vol.15 No.1, pp. 77-82
- 의약학; Sleep-disordered breathing; Prevalence; Acute ischemic stroke; Portable sleep apnea monitoring device
- It has been suggested that there is a strong association between sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) and stroke. However, this connection has not been studied in Korean subjects. Sixty-one patients with acute cerebral infarction (ACI) and 13 patients with transient ischemic attack (TIA) were consecutively enrolled. SDB was evaluated within 48 h of stroke or TIA onset using a portable screening device, which allowed incidents of apnea, hypopnea, and snoring to be automatically analyzed. Clinical and sleep-related variables, including body mass indices (BMI), cardiovascular risk factors, stroke severity and disability, and Epworth sleepiness scale, Stanford sleepiness scale, and Berlin questionnaire scores were assessed. Sixty-four age-matched patient's spouses or family members with no history of physician-diagnosed stroke were enrolled as controls. Mean apnea-hypopnea index (AHI# was significantly higher in TIA #14.6 +/- 10.4# and ACI #15.6 +/- 14.7# patients than in the controls #7.8 +/- 7.0; p = 0.001#. The prevalences of SDB were 69.2% in TIA and 50.8% in ACI patients and 32.8% in controls. BMI and systolic blood pressure #SBP# were significantly higher in patients with SDB than in patients without SDB. Sleep-related stroke onset occurred in 17 patients #22.9%#, and these patients had significantly higher AHIs. Multiple logistic regression analysis showed that BMI #odds ratio, 1.293; p = 0.027# and SBP #odds ratio, 1.030; p = 0.004) were found to independently predict SDB in patients with TIA or ACI. SDB is prevalent during the 48 h following ACI or TIA in Korean subjects. The authors recommend that SDB be evaluated after an ACI or TIA, especially in those with a high BMI and an elevated SBP.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.