S-Space College of Social Sciences (사회과학대학) Institute for Social Development and Policy Research (사회발전연구소) Development and Society Development and Society Vol.43 No.1/2 (2014)
Shifting Focus in Development Studies : Papers in Development and Society , 1998-2013
- Han, Shin-Kap; Lee, Sang-Jic; Sung, Yun-Joo
- Issue Date
- Institute for Social Development and Policy Research, Center for Social Sciences, Seoul National University
- Development and Society, Vol.43 No.1, pp. 59-80
- Trends; Development Studies; East Asia; Bibliographic Metadata analysis; Quantitative and Qualitative Aspects of Development
- How has development studies – especially the one on and in East Asia in general, and South Korea in particular – changed over the last decade and a half? We trace the recent trends through a review of articles published in Development and Society (D&S). Bibliographic metadata on a total of 201 authors and 199 papers for the period of 1998-2013 are collected and analyzed. For context, we find that, both in terms of authorship and regional coverage, the range of locales has expanded steadily. For content, research appears to have moved away from topics largely associated with quantity of development toward quality of development during the period. We conclude by discussing the implications for the future direction of development studies and suggesting strategies for D&S to follow in order to enhance its role in the field of development studies.