S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Mitochondria-targeting ceria nanoparticles as antioxidants for Alzheimer's disease
- Kwon, Hyek Jin; Cha, Moon-Yong; Kim, Dokyoon; Kim, Dong Kyu; Soh, Min; Shin, Kwangsoo; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Mook-Jung, Inhee
- Issue Date
- ACS Nano, Vol.10 No.2, pp.2860-2870
- Alzheimer's disease; ceria nanoparticles; mitochondria; reactive oxygen species; therapeutic agents
- Mitochondrial oxidative stress is a key pathologic factor in neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer's disease. Abnormal generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), resulting from mitochondrial dysfunction, can lead to neuronal cell death. Ceria (CeO2) nanoparticles are known to function as strong and recyclable ROS scavengers by shuttling between Ce3+ and Ce4+ oxidation states. Consequently, targeting ceria nano particles selectively to mitochondria might be a promising therapeutic approach for neurodegenerative diseases. Here, we report the design and synthesis of triphenylphosphonium-conjugated ceria nanoparticles that localize to mitochondria and suppress neuronal death in a SXFAD transgenic Alzheimer's disease mouse model. The triphenylphosphonium-conjugated ceria nanoparticles mitigate reactive gnosis and morphological mitochondria damage observed in these mice. Altogether, our data indicate that the triphenylphosphoniuni-conjugated ceria nanoparticles are a potential therapeutic candidate for mitochondrial oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)