S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Fulminant type 1 diabetes in Korea: high prevalence among patients with adult-onset type 1 diabetes
- Cho, Y M; Kim, J T; Ko, K S; Koo, B K; Yang, S W; Park, M H; Lee, H K; Park, K S
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Diabetologia. 2007 Nov;50(11):2276-9. Epub 2007 Aug 28.
- Adult; Age Distribution; Age of Onset; Autoantibodies/blood; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1/*epidemiology/genetics; Female; Genotype; HLA Antigens; Humans; Korea/epidemiology; Male; Prevalence
- AIMS/HYPOTHESIS: The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of fulminant type 1 diabetes and the clinical characteristics of the disease among newly diagnosed Korean patients. METHODS: Using data retrieved from the Seoul National University Hospital database, we identified all patients newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes from 1 January 1999 to 31 July 2006. Information on clinical manifestations and laboratory data, including the presence of islet autoantibodies detected at diagnosis, were obtained by reviewing medical records. RESULTS: We identified 99 patients newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Seven patients (7.1%) fulfilled the criteria for fulminant type 1 diabetes. Among the patients aged > or =18 years at onset, 30.4% had fulminant type 1 diabetes. Patients with this diabetes subtype tested negative for islet autoantibodies, had a higher age of onset (median 28 vs 10 years, p < 0.001) and a markedly shorter duration from onset of hyperglycaemic symptoms to first hospital visit (median 3 vs 30 days, p < 0.001) than patients with non-fulminant type 1 diabetes, and showed trends of increased serum aspartate aminotransferase and amylase levels and a decreased glucagon-stimulated serum C-peptide response. CONCLUSIONS/INTERPRETATION: In Korea, the prevalence of fulminant type 1 diabetes was 7.1% among all patients newly diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and 30.4% among patients with adult-onset diabetes. The clinical and metabolic characteristics of the patients with fulminant type 1 diabetes were similar to those reported in Japanese studies.
- 0012-186X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.