S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Physiology (생리학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_생리학교실)
Stretch-activated currents in cardiomyocytes isolated from rabbit pulmonary veins
- Seol, Chang Ahn; Kim, Won Tae; Ha, Jeong Mi; Choe, Han; Jang, Yeon Jin; Youm, Jae Boum; Earm, Yung E; Leem, Chae Hun
- Issue Date
- Prog Biophys Mol Biol. 97(2-3), 217-231
- 4,4'-Diisothiocyanostilbene-2,2'-Disulfonic Acid/pharmacology; Animals; Atrial Fibrillation/*physiopathology; Ion Channel Gating/drug effects/*physiology; Ion Transport; Ions/metabolism; Mechanotransduction, Cellular/*physiology; Membrane Potentials; Myocytes, Cardiac/*physiology; Pulmonary Veins/*cytology; Rabbits; Streptomycin/pharmacology; Stress, Mechanical
- Evidence is growing of a relationship between atrial dilation and atrial fibrillation (AF), the most prevalent type of arrhythmia. Pulmonary veins, which are important ectopic foci for provoking AF, are of increasing interest in relation to the early development of AF. Here, using single cardiomyocytes isolated from rabbit pulmonary veins, we characterised the stretch-activated currents induced by swelling and axial mechanical stretching. Swelling induced both a stretch-activated nonselective cationic current (NSC) and a Cl(-) current. The swelling-induced Cl(-) current (I Cl,swell) was inhibited by DIDS, whereas the swelling-induced NSC (I NSC,swell) was inhibited by Gd3+. The cationic selectivity of the I NSC,swell was K+ >Cs+ >Na+ >Li+, whilst the PK/PNa, PCs/PNa, and PLi/PNa permeability ratios were 2.84, 1.86, and 0.85, respectively. Activation of the I NSC,swell was faster than that of the I Cl,swell. Given a high K+ concentration in the bath solution, the I NSC,swell showed limited amplitude (<-70 mV). Mechanical stretching induced an immediate Gd3+- and streptomycin-sensitive NSC (I NSC,stretch) that was permeable to Na+, K+, Cs+ and NMDG. Persistent stretching activated a DIDS-sensitive current (I Cl,stretch). The I NSC,stretch, but not the I NSC,swell, was completely blocked by 400 microM streptomycin; therefore, the two currents may not be associated with the same channel. In addition, the type of current induced may depend on the type of stretching. Thus, stretch-induced anionic and cationic currents are functionally present in the cardiomyocytes of the main pulmonary veins of rabbits, and they may have pathophysiological roles in the development of AF under stretched conditions.
- 0079-6107 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.