S-Space College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (농업생명과학대학) Dept. of Food and Animal Biotechnology (식품·동물생명공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_식품·동물생명공학부)
Establishment of a basic method for manipulating preantral follicles: effects of retrieval method on in vitro growth of preantral follicles and intrafollicular oocytes
- Lee, S.T.; Choi, M.H.; Gong, S.P.; Han, Jae Yong; Lim, J.M.
- Issue Date
- Cambridge University Press
- Zygote, vol.15 no.2, pp. 109-116
- The aim of this study was to establish a basic manipulation protocol of preantral follicles for deriving developmentally competent oocytes. Primary, early and late secondary follicles retrieved fromthe ovaries of 14-day-old F1 (C57BL/6×DBA2) femalemicemechanically or enzymatically were cultured singly and in vitro growth of the follicles and maturation of intrafollicular oocytes were subsequently monitored. A mechanical method retrieved more (p<0.0001) follicles (339±48 vs. 202±28) than an enzymatic method. However, the enzymatic method collected more singly isolated follicles that could be provided for subsequent culture (102±26 vs. 202±28). When an enzymatic method was employed, early and late secondary follicles required 9 and 6 days for reaching the maximal incidence of the pseudoantral stage. However, primary follicles were not possible to develop into the pseudoantral stage. The optimal duration of oocyte maturation fromthe onset of follicle culture was 7 days and 5–7 days for early and late secondary follicles, respectively. A general decrease in oocyte diameter (65.2–65.53 μm vs. 75μm) and zona thickness (5.41–5.74 μmvs. 7.76 μm) was detected in in vitro-derived compared with in vivo-derived matured oocytes. Pronuclear formation was detected in 86–94% of mature oocytes after parthenogenetic activation and no significant difference was detected among groups. These results showed that preantral follicles retrieved by an enzymatic method underwent step-by-step growth in vitro, which could yield mature oocytes.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.