S-Space College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (농업생명과학대학) Dept. of Food and Animal Biotechnology (식품·동물생명공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_식품·동물생명공학부)
Establishment of autologous embryonic stem cells derived from preantral follicle culture and oocyte parthenogenesis
- Lee, Seung Tae; Choi, Mun Hwan; Lee, Eun Ju; Gong, Seung Pyo; Jang, Mi; Park, Sang Hyun; Jee, Hyang; Kim, Dae Yong; Han, Jae Yong; Lim, Jeong Mook
- Issue Date
- Fertility and Sterility, vol.90 no.5, pp. 1910-1920
- Preantral follicle; intrafollicular oocyte; in vitro-culture; parthenogenesis; blastocyst; autologous stem cell; characterization
- Objective: To evaluate whether autologous embryonic stem cells can be established without generating clone embryos.
Design: Prospective model study.
Setting: Gamete and stem cell biotechnology laboratory in Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
Animal(s): F1 hybrid B6D2F1 mice.
Intervention(s): Preantral follicles were cultured, and oocytes matured in the follicles were parthenogenetically
Main Outcome Measure(s): Preimplantation development and stem cell characterization.
Result(s): More intrafollicular oocytes that were retrieved from secondary follicles matured and developed into
blastocysts after parthenogenesis than those that were retrieved from primary follicles. Of those 35 blastocysts derived
from 193 parthenotes, one line of colony-forming cells was established from the culturing of early secondary
follicles. The established cells were positive for embryonic stem cell-specific markers and had normal diploid karyotype
and telomerase activity. They differentiated into embryoid bodies in vitro and teratomas in vivo. Inducible
differentiation of the established cells into neuronal lineage cells also was possible.
Conclusion(s): Autologous embryonic stem cells can be established by preantral follicle culture and oocyte parthenogenesis.
A combined technique of follicle culture and oocyte parthenogenesis that does not use developmentally
competent oocytes has the potential to replace somatic cell nuclear transfer for autologous cell therapy
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.