S-Space College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (농업생명과학대학) Dept. of Food and Animal Biotechnology (식품·동물생명공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_식품·동물생명공학부)
Effects of a single nucleotide polymorphism in the chicken NK-lysin gene on antimicrobial activity and cytotoxicity of cancer cells
- Lee, Mi Ok; Kim, Eun-Hee; Jang, Hyun-Jun; Park, Mi Na; Woo, Hee-Jong; Han, Jae Yong; Womack, James E.
- Issue Date
- National Academy of Sciences
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol.109 no.30, pp. 12087-12092
- NK-lysin is an effector protein of the innate immune system and an important component of host protection. We isolated a SNP in the NK-lysin coding sequence among different chicken breeds. This A to G substitution at the position 271 nucleotide in the ORF results in an Asn (N) to Asp (D) amino acid alteration. We synthesized two 30-aa peptides (N29N and N29D) to compare the biological activity of the helix 2-loop-helix 3 region of NK-lysin resulting from the polymorphic gene. Both peptides were found to be cytotoxic in bacteria and tumor cell cultures at micromolar concentrations. The N29N peptide, however, exhibited greater antibacterial and anticancer activity than the N29D peptide. Circular dichroism spectroscopy of the two peptides in negatively charged single unilamellar vesicles showed spectra typical of α-helical peptides. The helical profile of N29D was reduced substantially compared with that of N29N. However, no structural change was observed in neutral vesicles. ζ-Potential measurements of liposomes incubated with increasing peptide concentrations allowed surface charge neutralization with a negatively charged lipid, but not with a zwitterionic lipid. This result suggests that a difference in electrostatic interaction between lipid membranes and the helical peptides results from the polymorphic gene and is subsequently an important factor in cell lytic activity of variant NK-lysin peptides.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.