S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Neurosurgery (신경외과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_신경외과학전공)
Gamma knife radiosurgery for central neurocytoma: primary and secondary treatment
- Kim, Chae-Yong; Paek, Sun Ha; Jeong, Sang Soon; Chung, Hyun-Tai; Han, Jung Ho; Park, Chul-Kee; Jung, Hee-Won; Kim, Dong Gyu
- Issue Date
- John Wiley & Sons
- Cancer. 2007 Nov 15;110(10):2276-84.
- Adolescent; Adult; Brain Neoplasms/*surgery; Female; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Neurocytoma/*surgery; *Radiosurgery; Retrospective Studies; Treatment Outcome
- BACKGROUND: Little is known about long-term results of gamma knife (GK) stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) as a primary or a secondary postoperative therapy for central neurocytomas (CNs). The authors retrospectively reviewed long-term outcomes of 13 patients with CN treated with GK SRS. METHODS: Thirteen patients were treated with GK SRS as a primary (6 patients) or a secondary postoperative therapy (7 patients). Follow-up clinical status and brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) were thoroughly analyzed. The functional status of patients was assessed with the Karnofsky Performance Scale during follow-up. RESULTS: The median follow-up period for clinical status and imaging studies was 61 months (range, 6 months to 96 months). Tumors decreased in 5 patients who received GK SRS as a primary treatment. However, the tumor recurred in 2 patients treated with a secondary GK SRS after surgery from the residual tumor bed that was not covered by the GK SRS. Parenchymal changes and secondary malignancies were not found in follow-up MRIs of all 13 patients. The Karnofsky Performance Scale score of all patients, except for 1 patient who suffered from an unrelated anteriorly communicating arterial aneurysmal rupture, did not change after GK SRS. CONCLUSIONS: GK SRS may be useful as a primary or a secondary postoperative therapy for the treatment of CN. However, more attention should be paid to residual or recurrent CN during treatment, and regular long-term follow-up MRI should be mandatory to validate the procedure.
- 0008-543X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.