S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Urology (비뇨기과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_비뇨기과학전공)
Effective local control of prostate cancer by intratumoral injection of (166)Ho-chitosan complex (DW-166HC) in rats
- Kwak, Cheol; Hong, Sung Kyu; Seong, Seung Kyoo; Ryu, Jei Man; Park, Moon Soo; Lee, Sang Eun
- Issue Date
- Springer International
- Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2005 Dec;32(12):1400-5. Epub 2005 Aug 31.
- Animals; Body Weight/radiation effects; Chitin/administration & dosage/adverse effects/*analogs & derivatives; Holmium/*administration & dosage/adverse effects; Injections, Intralesional/*methods; Male; Organometallic Compounds/*administration & dosage/adverse effects; Prostatic Neoplasms/*pathology/*radiotherapy; Radioisotopes/*administration & dosage/adverse effects; Radiopharmaceuticals/administration & dosage/adverse effects; Rats; Survival Rate; Treatment Outcome
- PURPOSE: The aim of this study was to evaluate the therapeutic effect and morphological alterations resulting from (166)Ho-chitosan complex (DW-166HC) in an animal model of prostate cancer. METHODS: First, in a subcutaneous tumor model, 80 rats were randomly divided into four groups (n=20 in each group), and intratumoral injections of 0.05 ml (normal saline in group 1,( 165)Ho-chitosan complex solution in group 2, DW-166HC solution (10 mCi) in group 3, and DW-166HC solution (20 mCi) in group 4) were performed when the tumor measured approximately 1 cm along its long axis in each group. Further, in an orthotopic tumor model, 40 rats were similarly randomly divided into four groups (n=10 in each group), and intraprostatic injections of 0.05 ml [PBS in group 1,( 165)Ho-chitosan complex solution in group 2, DW-166HC solution (0.5 mCi) in group 3 and DW-166HC solution (1 mCi) in group 4] were performed at 1 week after implantation of the AIT cell line in the ventral prostate. RESULTS: In the subcutaneous tumor model, mean tumor weights of groups 3 and 4 were significantly lower than those of groups 1 and 2 at 2 and 4 weeks post injection (p<0.05). At 2 and 4 weeks after injection in the orthotopic tumor model, the mean weights of the prostate, including tumor, in groups 3 and 4 were also significantly lower than those in groups 1 and 2 (p<0.05). No adverse injury was seen in adjacent organs at histopathologic examination. CONCLUSION: Intratumoral injection of the beta-emitting radionuclide (166)Ho as a form of complex solution with chitosan appears to be a promising alternative therapeutic modality for the local control of prostate cancer.
- 1619-7070 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.