S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Clinical efficacy of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist, ganirelix, in Korean women undergoing controlled ovarian hyperstimulation for in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer with recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone
- Moon, Shin Yong; Ku, Seung-Yup; Kim, Sun Mie; Jee, Byung Chul; Suh, Chang Suk; Choi, Young Min; Kim, Jung Gu; Kim, Seok Hyun
- Issue Date
- J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2005 Jun;31(3):227-35.
- Adult; *Embryo Transfer; Female; *Fertilization in Vitro; Follicle Stimulating Hormone, Human/administration & dosage; Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone/*administration & dosage/*analogs &; derivatives/*antagonists & inhibitors; Hormone Antagonists/*administration & dosage; Humans; Infant, Newborn; Male; *Ovulation Induction; Pregnancy; Pregnancy Rate; Treatment Outcome
- AIM: To assess the clinical efficacy and safety of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) antagonist, ganirelix (Orgalutran), treatment in women undergoing controlled ovarian hyperstimulation (COH) for in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer (IVF-ET) in Korean women. METHODS: This was a non-comparative, open-label, single-center trial carried out on 31 infertile Korean women. A daily dose of 0.25 mg of the GnRH antagonist, ganirelix, was given, beginning on the sixth day of recombinant follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) treatment. If the ovarian response was low, ganirelix treatment was delayed until the leading follicle reached a mean diameter of 14 mm. The ganirelix treatment was continued until the day of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) injection. Descriptive statistics were recorded for all parameters. RESULTS: The median duration of ganirelix treatment was 4 days (range: 2-6 days) and the median total recombinant FSH dose was 1350 IU (900-2350 IU). During ganirelix treatment, the incidence of luteinizing hormone (LH) rises (LH = 10 IU/L) was 3.2% (one of 31 cases). On the day ovulation was triggered by hCG, the mean number of follicles >/=11 mm in diameter was 12.4 +/- 4.5, and the median of serum estradiol concentration was 4289.9 (1893.7-8268.5) pmol/L. The mean number of oocytes per retrieval was 10.9 +/- 6.1. The fertilization rate was 61.5%, and the mean number of replaced embryos was 2.8 +/- 0.6. The mean implantation rate was 10.0%, and the clinical pregnancy rate per transfer was 23.3% (seven of 30 cases) and the ongoing pregnancy rate per transfer was 20.0% (six of 30 cases). CONCLUSION: The results of the present study support ganirelix as a safe, short, convenient and effective treatment for patients undergoing COH for IVF in Korean women.
- 1341-8076 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.