S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Vascular endothelial growth factor gene +405 C/G polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to advanced stage endometriosis
- Kim, Sung Hoon; Choi, Young Min; Choung, Seon Ha; Jun, Jong Kwan; Kim, Jung Gu; Moon, Shin Yong
- Issue Date
- Oxford University Press
- Hum Reprod. 2005 Oct;20(10):2904-8. Epub 2005 Jun 24
- Alleles; Case-Control Studies; Endometriosis/*genetics; Female; Gene Frequency; Genetic Predisposition to Disease; Genotype; Haplotypes; Humans; Korea; Odds Ratio; *Polymorphism, Genetic; Polymorphism, Restriction Fragment Length; Sequence Analysis, DNA; Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A/*genetics/metabolism
- BACKGROUND: Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) is known to play a pivotal role in the development of endometriosis. This study was performed to investigate whether the VEGF gene 5'-untranslated region polymorphism is associated with susceptibility to advanced stage endometriosis. METHODS: This study comprised 215 women with advanced stage endometriosis, 219 control women without endometriosis, and 70 fertile women. Following extraction of genomic DNA, genotyping of the -460 C/T and +405 C/G polymorphisms of the VEGF gene were performed by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) analysis. RESULTS: The distribution of genotypes and allele frequencies of the -460 C/T polymorphism in the endometriosis group did not differ from those in the control group and the fertile women group. However, genotype distribution of the +405 C/G polymorphism was significantly different between patients with and without endometriosis (P = 0.01) and between patients with endometriosis and the fertile women (P = 0.02). Patients with endometriosis showed a higher incidence of the +405 CC genotype compared with the controls and the fertile women (P = 0.007 and 0.016 respectively). CONCLUSIONS: These findings suggest that the VEGF +405 C/G polymorphism may be associated with the risk of advanced stage endometriosis in the Korean population.
- 0268-1161 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.