S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Ultrathin Quantum Dot Display Integrated with Wearable Electronics
- Kim, Jaemin; Shim, Hyung Joon; Yang, Jiwoong; Choi, Moon Kee; Kim, Dong Chan; Kim, Junhee; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Kim, Dae-Hyeong
- Issue Date
- Advanced Materials, Vol.29 No.38, p. 1700217
- Flexible displays; Light-emitting diodes; Quantum dots; Skin electronics; Wearable electronics
- An ultrathin skin-attachable display is a critical component for an information output port in next-generation wearable electronics. In this regard, quantum dot (QD) light-emitting diodes (QLEDs) offer unique and attractive characteristics for future displays, including high color purity with narrow bandwidths, high electroluminescence (EL) brightness at low operating voltages, and easy processability. Here, ultrathin QLED displays that utilize a passive matrix to address individual pixels are reported. The ultrathin thickness (≈5.5 μm) of the QLED display enables its conformal contact with the wearer's skin and prevents its failure under vigorous mechanical deformation. QDs with relatively thick shells are employed to improve EL characteristics (brightness up to 44 719 cd m-2 at 9 V, which is the record highest among wearable LEDs reported to date) by suppressing the nonradiative recombination. Various patterns, including letters, numbers, and symbols can be successfully visualized on the skin-mounted QLED display. Furthermore, the combination of the ultrathin QLED display with flexible driving circuits and wearable sensors results in a fully integrated QLED display that can directly show sensor data.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)