S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Battery electrode materials with omnivalent cation storage for fast and charge-efficient ion removal of asymmetric capacitive deionization
- Choi, Seungyeon; Chang, Barsa; Kim, Seoni; Lee, Jiho; Yoon, Jeyong; Choi, Jang Wook
- Issue Date
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol.28 No.35, p. 1802665
- asymmetric capacitive deionization; desalination; ion-exchange membranes; ion removal efficiency; metal organic frameworks
- Capacitive deionization (CDI) that engages porous carbon electrodes constitutes one of the well-established energy-efficient desalination methods. However, improvement in desalination performance, including ion removal capacity, ion removal rate, and charge efficiency remains requisite for a wide range of applications. Herein, an ion-exchange membrane-free asymmetric CDI is introduced by pairing a metal organic framework (MOF), namely, K0.03Cu[Fe(CN)(6)](0.65)center dot 0.43H(2)O and porous carbon. The exclusive intercalation of cations into the MOF prevents the reverse adsorption of co-ions (anions), thus significantly improving ion removal capacity (23.2 mg g(-1)) and charge efficiency (75.8%). Moreover, by utilizing the advantage of the MOF that diverse mono- and divalent cations can be stored in the narrow redox potential range, the asymmetric CDI allows simultaneous capture of mono- and divalent cations, thus achieving omnivalent cation removal. Moreover, cations are intercalated in the hydrated forms without a discrete phase transition of the host structure, facilitating rapid desalination by reducing the desolvation energy penalty, which results in a high ion removal rate of 0.24 mg g(-1) s(-1). This study offers a new design principle in CDI: the integration of a crystal structure with large ionic channels that enable hydrated intercalation of multivalent ions in a fast and exclusive manner.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.