S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Large-Scale Synthesis of Carbon-Shell-Coated FeP Nanoparticles for Robust Hydrogen Evolution Reaction Electrocatalyst
- Chung, Dong Young; Jun, Samuel Woojoo; Yoon, Gabin; Kim, Hyunjoong; Yoo, Ji Mun; Lee, Kug-Seung; Kim, Taehyun; Shin, Heejong; Sinha, Arun Kumar; Kwon, Soon Gu; Kang, Kisuk; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Sung, Yung-Eun
- Issue Date
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol.139 No.19, pp.6669-6674
- A highly active and stable non-Pt electrocatalyst for hydrogen production has been pursued for a long time as an inexpensive alternative to Pt-based catalysts. Herein, we report a simple and effective approach to prepare high-performance iron phosphide (FeP) nanopartide electrocatalysts using iron oxide nanoparticles as a precursor. A singlestep heating procedure of polydopamine-coated iron oxide nanoparticles leads to both carbonization of polydopamine coating to the carbon shell and phosphidation of iron oxide to FeP, simultaneously. Carbon-shell-coated FeP nanoparticles show a low overpotential of 71 mV at 10 mA cm(-2), which is comparable to that of a commercial Pt catalyst, and remarkable long-term durability under acidic conditions for up to 10 000 cycles with negligible activity loss. The effect of carbon shell protection was investigated both theoretically and experimentally. A density functional theory reveals that deterioration of catalytic activity of FeP is caused by surface oxidation. Extended X-ray absorption fine structure analysis combined with electrochemical test shows that carbon shell coating prevents FeP nanoparticles from oxidation, making them highly stable under hydrogen evolution reaction operation conditions. Furthermore, we demonstrate that our synthetic method is suitable for mass production, which is highly desirable for large-scale hydrogen production.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)