S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Design Principle of Fe-N-C Electrocatalysts: How to Optimize Multimodal Porous Structures?
- Lee, Soo Hong; Kim, Jiheon; Chung, Dong Young; Yoo, Ji Mun; Lee, Hyeon Seok; Kim, Mm Jeong; Mun, Bongjin Simon; Kwon, Soon Gu; Sung, Yung-Eun; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol.141 No.5, pp.2035-2045
- The effect of porous structures on the electrocatalytic activity of N-doped carbon is studied by using electrochemical analysis techniques and the result is applied to synthesize highly active and stable Fe-N-C catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction (ORR). We developed synthetic procedures to prepare three types of N-doped carbon model catalysts that are designed for systematic comparison of the porous structures. The difference in their catalytic activity is investigated in relation to the surface area and the electrochemical parameters. We found that macro- and mesoporous structures contribute to different stages of the reaction kinetics. The catalytic activity is further enhanced by loading the optimized amount of Fe to prepare Fe-N-C catalyst. In both N-doped carbon and Fe-N-C catalysts, the hierarchical porous structure improved electrocatalytic performance in acidic and alkaline media. The optimized catalyst exhibits one of the best ORR performance in alkaline medium with excellent long-term stability in anion exchange membrane fuel cell and accelerated durability test. Our study establishes a basis for rationale design of the porous carbon structure for electrocatalytic applications.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)