S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Synthesis and biomedical applications of hollow nanostructures
- An, Kwangjin; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- Nano Today, Vol.4 No.4, pp.359-373
- Hollow; Nanoparticle; Kirkendall effect; Galvanic replacement; Etching; Biomedical applications; Template synthesis; Drug delivery vehicle
- Hollow nanostructures have attracted tremendous attention from researchers in various disciplines because their high surface to volume ratio and large pore volume are highly desirable for many technological applications including drug delivery system. Several colloidal synthetic methods have been used to synthesize various hollow nanostructures. These synthetic approaches are mainly categorized into four main classes according to how the hollow structure is formed: the Kirkendall effect, chemical etching, galvanic replacement, and template-mediated approach. The large pores inside the hollow nanostructures can encapsulate and release various drugs and biomolecules, while the surface of the nanostructure can be functionalized for drug targeting or bio-labeling. These features make the hollow nanostructures a unique and promising candidate as multifunctional drug delivery vehicles. This review article covers recent progress concerning the synthesis of hollow nanostructures with their sizes smaller than 200 nm and their biomedical, applications including specific targeting, imaging, and controlled release of therapeutics for simultaneous diagnosis and therapy. (C) 2009 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)