S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Renal-clearable hollow bismuth subcarbonate nanotubes for tumor targeted computed tomography imaging and chemoradiotherapy
- Hu, Xi; Sun, Jihong; Li, Fangyuan; Li, Ruiqing; Wu, Jiahe; He, Jie; Wang, Nan; Liu, Jianan; Wang, Shuaifei; Zhou, Fei; Sun, Xiaolian; Kim, Dokyoon; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Ling, Daishun
- Issue Date
- Nano Letters, Vol.18 No.2, pp.1196-1204
- Hollow nanotubes; bismuth subcarbonate; tumor-targeting; CT imaging; chemoradiotherapy; renal clearance
- Although metallic nanomaterials with high X-ray attenuation coefficients have been widely used as X-ray computed tomography (CT) contrast agents, their intrinsically poor biodegradability requires them to be cleared from the body to avoid any potential toxicity. On the other hand, extremely small-sized nanomaterials with outstanding renal clearance properties are not much effective for tumor targeting because of their too rapid clearance in vivo. To overcome this dilemma, here we report on the hollow bismuth subcarbonate nanotubes (BNTs) assembled from renal-clearable ultrasmall bismuth subcarbonate nanoclusters for tumor-targeted imaging and chemoradiotherapy. The BNTs could be targeted to tumors with high efficiency and exhibit a high CT contrast effect. Moreover, simultaneous radio- and chemotherapy using drug-loaded BNTs could significantly suppress tumor volumes, highlighting their potential application in CT imaging-guided therapy. Importantly, the elongated nanotubes could be disassembled into isolated small nanoclusters in the acidic tumor microenvironment, accelerating the payload release and kidney excretion. Such body clearable CT contrast agent with high imaging performance and multiple therapeutic functions shall have a substantial potential for biomedical applications.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)