S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Wrap-bake-peel process for nanostructural transformation from Β-FeOOH nanorods to biocompatible iron oxide nanocapsules
- Piao, Yuanzhe; Kim, Jaeyun; Na, Hyon Bin; Kim, Dokyoon; Baek, Ji Seon; Ko, Mi Kyeong; Lee, Jung Hee; Shokouhimehr, Mohammadreza; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- Nature Materials, Vol.7 No.3, pp.242-247
- The thermal treatment of nanostructured materials to improve their properties generally results in undesirable aggregation and sintering. Here, we report on a novel wrap-bake-peel process, which involves silica coating, heat treatment and finally the removal of the silica layer, to transform the phases and structures of nanostructured materials while preserving theirnanostructural characteristics. We demonstrate, as a proof-of-concept, the fabrication of water-dispersible and biocompatible hollow iron oxide nanocapsules by applying this wrap-bake-peel process to spindle-shaped akagenite (beta-FeOOH) nanoparticles. Depending on the heat treatment conditions, hollow nanocapsules of either haematite or magnetite were produced. The synthesized water-dispersible magnetite nanocapsules were successfully used not only as a drug-delivery vehicle, but also as a T-2 magnetic resonance imaging contrast agent. The current process is generally applicable, and was used to transform heterostructured FePt nanoparticles to high-temperature face-centred-tetragonal-phase FePt alloy nanocrystals.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)