S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Synthesis of uniform hollow oxide nanoparticles through nanoscale acid etching
- An, Kwangjin; Kwon, Soon Gu; Park, Mihyun; Na, Hyon Bin; Baik, Sung-Il; Yu, Jung Ho; Kim, Dokyoon; Son, Jae Sung; Kim, Young-Woon; Song, In Chan; Moon, Woo Kyung; Park, Hyun Min; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- Nano Letters, Vol.8 No.12, pp.4252-4258
- We synthesized various hollow oxide nanoparticles from as-prepared MnO and iron oxide nanocrystals. Heating metal oxide nanocrystals dispersed in technical grade trioctylphosphine oxide (TOPO) at 300 degrees C for hours yielded hollow nanoparticles retaining the size and shape uniformity of the original nanocrystals. The method was highly reproducible and could be generalized to synthesize hollow oxide nanoparticles of various sizes, shapes, and compositions. Control experiments revealed that the impurities in technical grade TOPO, especially alkylphosphonic acid, were responsible for the etching of metal oxide nanocrystals to the hollow structures. Elemental mapping analysis revealed that the inward diffusion of phosphorus and the outward diffusion of metal took place in the intermediate stages during the etching process. The elemental analysis using XPS, EELS, and EDX showed that the hollow nanoparticles were amorphous metal oxides containing significant amount of phosphorus. The hollow nanoparticles synthesized from MnO and iron oxide nanocrystals were paramagnetic at room temperature and when dispersed in water showed spin relaxation enhancement effect for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Because of their morphology and magnetic property, the hollow nanoparticles would be utilized for multifunctional biomedical applications such as the drug delivery vehicles and the MRI contrast agents.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)