S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Single enzyme nanoparticles armored by a thin silicate network: Single enzyme caged nanoparticles
- Hong, Sung-Gil; Kim, Byoung Chan; Bin Na, Hyon; Lee, Jinwoo; Youn, Jongkyu; Chung, Seung-Wook; Lee, Chang-Won; Lee, Byoungsoo; Kim, Han Sol; Hsiao, Erik; Kim, Seong H.; Kim, Byung-Gee; Park, Hyun Gyu; Chang, Ho Nam; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Dordick, Jonathan S.; Grate, Jay W.; Kim, Jungbae
- Issue Date
- Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol.322, pp.510-515
- Enzymes; Enzyme catalysis; Single enzyme caged nanoparticles; Enzyme stabilization; Enzyme immobilization
- For the encapsulation of biomolecules in inorganic materials, we have developed a unique enzyme silicate conjugate material that consists of a self-assembled molecularly thin silicate layer on the surface of each individual enzyme molecule. The enzyme-silicate conjugate materials, called single enzyme caged nanoparticles (SECNs), were synthesized via the silica polymerization on the surface of enzyme molecule after solubilizing each enzyme molecule in hexane by using a tiny amount of surfactant, called "ion-pairing". SECNs possess near native enzyme activity in aqueous media with minimal substrate diffusional limitations, and are highly stable under the protection of silicate network cage. Due to their nearly molecular size, SECNs can also be adsorbed into mesoporous silica materials to yield robust and easily-recyclable enzymatic systems that can be used in a number of potential biocatalytic applications such as diagnostics, biosensors, biotransformations, biofuel production, bioremediation and CO2 capture.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)