S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Magnetosome-like ferrimagnetic iron oxide nanocubes for highly sensitive MRI of single cells and transplanted pancreatic islets
- Lee, Nohyun; Kim, Hyoungsu; Choi, Seung Hong; Park, Mihyun; Kim, Dokyoon; Kim, Hyo-Cheol; Choi, Yoonseok; Lin, Shunmei; Kim, Byung Hyo; Jung, Hye Seung; Kim, Hyeonjin; Park, Kyong Soo; Moon, Woo Kyung; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, Vol.108 No.7, pp.2662-2667
- For ultrasensitive magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), magnetic nanoparticles with extremely high r2 relaxivity are strongly desired. Magnetosome-like nanoparticles were prepared by coating polyethylene glycol-phospholipid (PEG-phospholipid) onto ferrimagnetic iron oxide nanocubes (FIONs). FIONs exhibited a very high relaxivity (r2) of 324 mM(-1) s(-1), allowing efficient labeling of various kinds of cells. The magnetic resonance (MR) imaging of single cells labeled with FIONs is demonstrated not only in vitro but also in vivo. Pancreatic islet grafts and their rejection could be imaged using FIONs on a 1.5 T clinical MRI scanner. The strong contrast effect of FIONs enabled MR imaging of transplanted islets in small rodents as well as in large animals. Therefore, we expect that MR imaging of pancreatic islet grafts using FIONs has the potentials for clinical applications. Furthermore, FIONs will enable highly sensitive noninvasive assessment after cell transplantation.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)