High-Density Single-Layer Coating of Gold Nanoparticles onto Multiple Substrates by Using an Intrinsically Disordered Protein of alpha-Synuclein for Nanoapplications
- Bhak, Ghibom; Lee, Junghee; Kim, Chang-Hyun; Chung, Dong Young; Kang, Jin Hyoun; Oh, Soojung; Lee, Jungsup; Kang, Jin Soo; Yoo, Ji Mun; Yang, Jee Eun; Rhoo, Kun Yil; Park, Sunghak; Lee, Somin; Nam, Ki Tae; Jeon, Noo Li; Jang, Jyongsik; Hong, Byung Hee; Sung, Yung-Eun; Yoon, Myung-Han; Paik, Seung R.
- Issue Date
- ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, Vol.9 No.10, pp.8519-8532
- alpha-synuclein; adsorption; gold nanoparticles; intrinsically disordered protein; nanoapplications; nanoparticle single layer; omni-adhesive protein
- Functional graffiti of nanoparticles onto target surface is an important issue in the development of nanodevices. A general strategy has been introduced here to decorate chemically diverse substrates with gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) in the form of a close-packed single layer by using an omni-adhesive protein of a-synuclein (alpha S) as conjugated with the particles. Since the adsorption was highly sensitive to pH, the amino acid sequence of aS exposed from the conjugates and its conformationally disordered state capable of exhibiting structural plasticity are considered to be responsible for the single-layer coating over diverse surfaces. Merited by the simple solution-based adsorption procedure, the particles have been imprinted to various geometric shapes in 2-D and physically inaccessible surfaces of 3-D objects. The alpha S-encapsulated AuNPs to form a high-density single-layer coat has been employed in the development of nonvolatile memory, fule-cell, solar-cell, and cell-culture platform, where the outlying aS has played versatile roles such as a dielectric layer for charge retention, a sacrificial layer to expose AuNPs for chemical catalysis, a reaction center for silicification, and biointerface for cell attachment, respectively. Multiple utilizations of the alpha S-based hybrid NPs, therefore, could offer great versatility to fabricate a variety of NP-integrated advanced materials which would serve as an indispensable component for widespread applications of high-performance nanodevices.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.