S-Space College of Veterinary Medicine (수의과대학) Dept. of Veterinary Medicine (수의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_수의학과)
Mannosylated chitosan-graft-polyethylenimine as a gene carrier for Raw 264.7 cell targeting
- Jiang, Hu-Lin; Kim, You-Kyoung; Arote, Rohidas; Jere, Dhananjay; Quan, Ji-Shan; Yu, Jia-Hui; Choi, Yun-Jaie; Nah, Jae-Woon; Cho, Myung-Haing; Cho, Chong-Su
- Issue Date
- International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Vol.375 No.1-2, pp.133-139
- Gene therapy; Non-viral vector; Targeting gene delivery; Mannosylated chitosan-graft-PEI; Antigen presenting cell
- Gene transfer using non-viral vectors is a promising approach for the safe delivery of therapeutic genes. Among non-viral vectors, chitosans have been proposed as alternative, biocompatible cationic polymers for non-viral gene delivery. However, the low transfection efficiency and low specificity of chitosan needs to be addressed prior to clinical application. In this study, mannosylated chitosan-graft-polyethylenimine (Man-CHI-g-PEI) copolymer was prepared by thiourea reaction between the isothiocyanate group of mannopyranosylphenylisothiocyanate and the amine groups of chitosan-graft-PEI (CHI-g-PEI) for targeting into antigen presenting cells (APCs) having mannose receptors. The composition and molecular weight were characterized using (1)H NMR and GPC, respectively. The copolymer was complexed with plasmid DNA in various copolymer/DNA (N/P) charge ratios, and the complexes were characterized. Man-CHI-g-PEI showed good DNA binding ability and high protection of DNA from nuclease attack and had low cytotoxicity compared with PEI 25K. The transfection efficiency of Man-CHI-g-PEI/DNA complexes into the Raw 264.7 macrophage cell line, which has mannose receptors, was higher than CHI-g-PEI itself as well as PEI 25K, indicating Man-CHI-g-PEI can be used as an APCs' targeting gene delivery carrier. (C) 2009 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.