S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Heat shock 70-kDa protein 8 isoform 1 is expressed on the surface of human embryonic stem cells and downregulated upon differentiation
- Son, Yeon Sung; Park, Jae Hyun; Kang, Young Kook; Park, Jin-Sung; Choi, Hong Seo; Lim, Ji Young; Lee, Jeoung Eun; Lee, Jung Bok; Ko, Myoung Seok; Kim, Yong-Sam; Ko, Jeong-Heon; Yoon, Hyun Soo; Lee, Kwang-Woong; Seong, Rho Hyun; Moon, Shin Yong; Ryu, Chun Jeih; Hong, Hyo Jeong
- Issue Date
- AlphaMed Press
- Stem Cells 2005;23:1502-1513
- Antibodies, Monoclonal/metabolism; Antigens, Surface/metabolism; *Cell Differentiation; Cell Line; *Down-Regulation; Embryo Research; HSP70 Heat-Shock Proteins/*biosynthesis; Hela Cells; Humans; Immunohistochemistry; Mass Spectrometry; Protein Isoforms/*biosynthesis; Stem Cells/cytology/*metabolism
- The cell-surface markers used routinely to define the undifferentiated state and pluripotency of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) are those used in mouse embryonic stem cells (mESCs) because of a lack of markers directly originated from hESC itself. To identify more hESC-specific cell-surface markers, we generated a panel of monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) by immunizing the irradiated cell clumps of hESC line Miz-hES1, and selected 26 MAbs that were able to bind to Miz-hES1 cells but not to mESCs, mouse embryonic fibroblast cells, and STO cells. Most antibodies did not bind to human neural progenitor cells derived from the Miz-hES1 cells, either. Of these, MAb 20-202S (IgG1, kappa) immunoprecipitated a cell-surface protein of 72-kDa from the lysate of biotin-labeled Miz-hES1 cells, which was identified to be heat shock 70-kDa protein 8 isoform 1 (HSPA8) by quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry. Immunocytochemical analyses proved that the HSPA8 protein was also present on the surface of hESC lines Miz-hES4, Miz-hES6, and HSF6. Two-color flow cytometric analysis of Miz-hES1 and HSF6 showed the coexpression of the HSPA8 protein with other hESC markers such as stage-specific embryonic antigen 3 (SSEA3), SSEA4, TRA-1-60, and TRA-1-81. Flow cytometric and Western blot analyses using various cells showed that MAb 20-202S specifically bound to the HSPA8 protein on the surface of Miz-hES1, contrary to other anti-HSP70 antibodies examined. Furthermore, the surface expression of the HSPA8 protein on Miz-hES1 was markedly downregulated upon differentiation. These data indicate that a novel MAb 20-202S recognizes the HSPA8 protein on the surface of hESCs and suggest that the HSPA8 protein is a putative cell-surface marker for undifferentiated hESCs.
- 1066-5099 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.