S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine (마취통증의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_마취통증의학전공)
The neurological safety of epidural gabapentin in rats: a light microscopic examination
- Choi, Sang-Sik; Kim, Yong-Chul; Lim, Young Jin; Lee, Chul-Joong; Lee, Pyung-Bok; Lee, Sang-Chul; Sim, Woo-Seok; Choi, Yoon-La
- Issue Date
- Anesth Analg. 2005 Nov;101(5):1422-6.
- Amines/administration & dosage/*toxicity; Animals; Cyclohexanecarboxylic Acids/administration & dosage/*toxicity; Ganglia, Spinal/drug effects/pathology; Injections, Epidural; Male; Rats; Rats, Sprague-Dawley; Spinal Cord/*drug effects/pathology; gamma-Aminobutyric Acid/administration & dosage/*toxicity
- Gabapentin acts primarily on the central nervous system. Therefore, we hypothesized that the direct epidural administration of gabapentin could have various advantages over its oral administration with respect to required dose, side effects, and efficacy. However, before administering gabapentin into the epidural space in a clinical setting, its neurotoxicity must be examined in animals. Thus, we evaluated neurotoxicity of epidural gabapentin by observing behavioral and sensory-motor changes, and by histopathological examinations of spinal cords and dorsal root ganglia in the rat. Twenty-seven rats were randomly divided into 3 groups, which were administered 0.3 mL (30 mg) of epidural gabapentin (group G, n = 9) and the same volume of epidural alcohol (group A, n = 9) or normal saline (group N, n = 9). No rats in groups G and N showed sensory-motor dysfunction, behavioral change, or histopathological abnormalities over a 3-wk observation period, whereas all rats in group A showed abnormalities. We conclude that the direct epidural injection of gabapentin in rats did not show any neurotoxic evidence in terms of sensory-motor functions and behavior, or by a microscopic histopathological evaluation. This study represents a first promising step toward the trial of epidural gabapentin in a clinical setting.
- 0003-2999 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.