S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pharmacology (약리학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_약리학전공)
A novel compound, maltolyl p-coumarate, attenuates cognitive deficits and shows neuroprotective effects in vitro and in vivo dementia models
- Shin, Ki Young; Lee, Geon Ho; Park, Cheol Hyoung; Kim, Hee Jin; Park, Soo-Hyun; Kim, Seonghan; Kim, Hye-Sun; Lee, Kwan-Sun; Won, Beom Young; Lee, Hyung Gun; Choi, Jin-Ho; Suh, Yoo-Hun
- Issue Date
- J Neurosci Res. 2007 Aug 15;85(11):2500-11.
- Amyloid beta-Protein/toxicity; Animals; Apoptosis/drug effects; Blotting, Western; Caspase 3/drug effects; Cognition/drug effects; Coumaric Acids/*pharmacology; Cytochromes c/drug effects; Dementia/chemically induced/*drug therapy; Disease Models, Animal; Enzyme Activation/drug effects; In Situ Nick-End Labeling; Muscarinic Antagonists/toxicity; Neuroprotective Agents/chemistry/*pharmacology; Pyrones/*pharmacology; Rats; Rats, Wistar; Reactive Oxygen Species/metabolism; Scopolamine/toxicity
- To develop a novel and effective drug that could enhance cognitive function and neuroprotection, we newly synthesized maltolyl p-coumarate by the esterification of maltol and p-coumaric acid. In the present study, we investigated whether maltolyl p-coumarate could improve cognitive decline in scopolamine-injected rats and in amyloid beta peptide(1-42)-infused rats. Maltolyl p-coumarate was found to attenuate cognitive deficits in both rat models using passive avoidance test and to reduce apoptotic cell death observed in the hippocampus of the amyloid beta peptide(1-42)-infused rats. We also examined the neuroprotective effects of maltolyl p-coumarate in vitro using SH-SY5Y cells. Cells were pretreated with maltolyl p-coumarate, before exposed to amyloid beta peptide(1-42), glutamate or H2O2. We found that maltolyl p-coumarate significantly decreased apoptotic cell death and reduced reactive oxygen species, cytochrome c release, and caspase 3 activation. Taking these in vitro and in vivo results together, our study suggests that maltolyl p-coumarate is a potentially effective candidate against Alzheimer's disease that is characterized by wide spread neuronal death and progressive decline of cognitive function.
- 0360-4012 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.