S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
The prevalence of and risk factors for erosive oesophagitis and non-erosive reflux disease: a nationwide multicentre prospective study in Korea
- Kim, N; Lee, S W; Cho, S I; Park, C G; Yang, C H; Kim, H S; Rew, J S; Moon, J S; Kim, S; Park, S H; Jung, H C; Chung, I S
- Issue Date
- Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2008 Jan 15;27(2):173-85. Epub 2007 Oct 25.
- Adolescent; Adult; Aged; Alcoholic Beverages/adverse effects; Blood Glucose/metabolism; Body Mass Index; Epidemiologic Factors; Esophagitis/*epidemiology/etiology/physiopathology; Female; Gastroesophageal Reflux/*epidemiology; Gastroscopy; Humans; Korea/epidemiology; Male; Middle Aged; Posture; Prevalence; Prospective Studies; Smoking/adverse effects
- BACKGROUND: Prospective nationwide multicentre studies that have evaluated endoscopic findings and reflux symptoms using a well-designed questionnaire are very rare. AIM: To compare the prevalence rates of and risk factors for erosive oesophagitis and non-erosive reflux disease (NERD) in the Korean population. METHODS: A gastroscopic examination was performed on 25 536 subjects who visited 40 Healthcare Centers for a health check-up. A gastro-oesophageal reflux questionnaire and multivariate analysis were used to determine the risk factors for erosive oesophagitis and NERD. RESULTS: 2019 (8%) and 996 subjects (4%) had erosive oesophagitis and non-erosive reflux disease, respectively; only 58% of subjects with erosive oesophagitis had reflux symptoms. Multivariate analysis showed that the risk factors for erosive oesophagitis and NERD differed, i.e. those of erosive oesophagitis were male, a Helicobacter pylori eradication history, alcohol, body mass index > or =25 and hiatal hernia. In contrast, the risk factors for NERD were female, age <40 and > or =60 vs. 40-59 years, body mass index <23 and a monthly income <$1000, glucose > or =126 mg/dL, smoking, a stooping posture at work and antibiotic usage. CONCLUSIONS: The prevalence rates of erosive oesophagitis and NERD were 8% and 4%, respectively, in Korean health check-up subjects. The risk factors for erosive oesophagitis and NERD were found to differ, which indicates that their underlying pathogeneses are distinct.
- 1365-2036 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.