S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Microbiology (미생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_미생물학전공)
Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis B virus (HBV) genotypes and serotypes in patients with chronic HBV infection in Korea
- Kim, Hong; Jee, Young Mee; Song, Byung-Cheol; Shin, Jung Woo; Yang, Soo Hyun; Mun, Ho-Suk; Kim, Hyun-Ju; Oh, Eun-Ju; Yoon, Jung-Hwan; Kim, Yoon-Jun; Lee, Hyo-Suk; Hwang, Eung-Soo; Cha, Chang-Yong; Kook, Yoon-Hoh; Kim, Bum-Jun
- Issue Date
- S. Karger AG
- Intervirology. 2007;50(1):52-7. Epub 2006 Nov 24.
- Adult; Aged; *Epidemiology, Molecular; Female; Genotype; Hepatitis B virus/*classification/*genetics/isolation & purification; Hepatitis B, Chronic/*epidemiology/virology; Humans; Korea/epidemiology; Male; Middle Aged; Phylogeny; Sequence Analysis, DNA; Serotyping
- OBJECTIVES: Although hepatitis B virus (HBV) is endemic to Korea, no large-scale survey of HBV genotypes and serotypes based on sequence analysis has been performed. METHODS: In the present study, we genotyped and serotyped HBV strains from 209 patients in two Korean regions, Seoul (107 patients) and Jeju (102 patients), an island off the southeastern Korean coast. Analyses were conducted using the direct sequencing method targeting the partial surface (S) gene (541 bp). RESULTS: Phylogenetic analysis showed that all HBV strains from the 209 patients belonged to genotype C2 (100%). Of the 209 patients, 193 (92.3%), 12 (5.7%) and 1 (0.5%) were found to have the adr, adw and ayr serotypes, respectively. The other three strains (1.5%) showed unique serotype and were not typeable by sequence analysis. No HBV strains characteristic of Jeju island were observed. CONCLUSIONS: The extraordinary predominance of genotype C2 in chronic Korean patients, which is known to be associated with more severe liver disease than genotype B, suggests that the clinical manifestations of Korean HBV chronic patients are likely to differ from those found in other Asian countries, especially in Japan and Taiwan, where genotypes B and C coexist.
- 0300-5526 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.