S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Microbiology (미생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_미생물학전공)
Inhibitory effects of glycitein on hydrogen peroxide induced cell damage by scavenging reactive oxygen species and inhibiting c-Jun N-terminal kinase
- Kang, Kyoung Ah; Zhang, Rui; Piao, Mei Jing; Lee, Kyoung Hwa; Kim, Bum Joon; Kim, So Young; Kim, Hee Sun; Kim, Dong Hyun; You, Ho Jin; Hyun, Jin Won
- Issue Date
- Taylor & Francis
- Free Radic Res. 2007 Jun;41(6):720-9.
- Animals; Antioxidants/pharmacology; Apoptosis/*drug effects; Blotting, Western; Cells, Cultured/drug effects/metabolism; Comet Assay; Cricetinae; Cytoprotection; Electrophoretic Mobility Shift Assay; Extracellular Signal-Regulated MAP Kinases/metabolism; Fibroblasts/cytology/drug effects/metabolism; Flow Cytometry; Free Radical Scavengers/pharmacology; Hydrogen Peroxide/*pharmacology; Isoflavones/metabolism/*pharmacology; JNK Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinases/*antagonists & inhibitors/metabolism; Luciferases/metabolism; Lung/cytology/drug effects/metabolism; Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase 9/metabolism; Oxidants/*pharmacology; Oxidative Stress; Phytoestrogens/pharmacology; Promoter Regions, Genetic/genetics; Reactive Oxygen Species/*metabolism; Transcription Factor AP-1/genetics/metabolism
- The present study investigated the cytoprotective properties of glycitein, a metabolite formed by the transformation of glycitin by intestinal microflora, against oxidative stress. Glycitein was found to scavenge intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS), and 1,1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical, and thereby preventing lipid peroxidation and DNA damage. Glycitein inhibited apoptosis of Chinese hamster lung fibroblast (V79-4) cells exposed to hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) via radical scavenging activity. Glycitein abrogated the activation of c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) induced by H(2)O(2) treatment and inhibited DNA binding activity of activator protein-1 (AP-1), a downstream transcription factor of JNK. Taken together, these findings suggest that glycitein protected H(2)O(2) induced cell death in V79-4 cells by inhibiting ROS generation and JNK activation.
- 1071-5762 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.