S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Pediatrics (소아과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_소아과학전공)
Morphological and biochemical changes induced by arsenic trioxide in neuroblastoma cell lines
- Ryu, Kyung-Ha; Woo, So-Youn; Lee, Mi-Young; Jung, Yun-Jae; Yoo, Eun-Sun; Seoh, Ju-Young; Kie, Jeong-Hae; Shin, Hee-Young; Ahn, Hyo-Seop
- Issue Date
- Taylor & Francis
- Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2005 Oct-Nov;22(7):609-21.
- Annexin A5/biosynthesis; Antineoplastic Agents/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Apoptosis/*drug effects; Arsenicals/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Cell Survival/drug effects; Collagen Type XI/biosynthesis; Dose-Response Relationship, Drug; Down-Regulation/drug effects; Gene Expression Regulation, Neoplastic/drug effects; HL-60 Cells; Humans; Lymphocytes/metabolism/ultrastructure; Neuroblastoma/drug therapy/*metabolism/ultrastructure; Oxides/*pharmacology/therapeutic use; Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-bcl-2/biosynthesis
- Arsenic trioxide has recently been shown to inhibit growth and induce apoptosis in a variety of hematologic malignancies, but very little is known about its effects on solid tumors and especially on neuroblastoma cells that have self-differentiating characteristics. To demonstrate the growth inhibition induced in neuroblastoma cells (the SH-SY5Y and SK-N-AS cell line) and acute promyelocytic leukemia cells (HL-60) by arsenic trioxide (As2O3), the viable cell numbers were counted after trypan blue staining. Apoptosis was assessed by the cell morphology, by flow cytometry with annexin-V staining, and by Western blot analysis for the apoptosis-related proteins (bcl-2 and PARP). To decide the dose for the clinical application of As2O3, normal peripheral blood lymphocytes were also examined. The growth and survival of the SH-SY5Y and SK-N-AS cells were markedly inhibited by As2O3 treatment at a 3 microM concentration before the changes of the normal lymphocytes were observed. The apoptotic cells showed a shrunken cell nucleus, and an increase in the number and balloon-like swelling of the mitochondria at 72 h after the As2O3 was added. Apoptosis of the annexin-V-positive cell proportion in the neuroblastoma cell lines was increased with increasing the exposure time and the concentration of As2O3, just like the HL-60 cells. Bcl-2 downregulation and PARP degradation were also noted all the cell lines, but these changes were not statistically significant among the 3 cell lines. Taken together, these results indicate that As2O3 is an excellent candidate as a therapeutic agent for the treatment of neuroblastoma.
- 0888-0018 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.