S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (생화학교실) Journal Papers (저널논문_생화학교실)
Chloride conductance is required for the protein kinase A and Rac1-dependent phosphorylation of moesin at Thr-558 by KCl in PC12 cells
- Jeon, Songhee; Kim, Sohee; Kim, Eunhee; Lee, Ji Eun; Kim, Sung Joon; Juhnn, Yong-Sung; Kim, Yong Sik; Bae, Chang-Dae; Park, Joobae
- Issue Date
- J Biol Chem. 2005 Apr 1;280(13):12181-9. Epub 2005 Jan 5.
- Animals; Chloride Channels/*metabolism; Chlorides/*metabolism; Culture Media, Serum-Free/pharmacology; Cyclic AMP-Dependent Protein Kinases/*metabolism; Electrophoresis, Polyacrylamide Gel; Immunoblotting; Microfilament Proteins/chemistry/*metabolism; PC12 Cells; Patch-Clamp Techniques; Phosphorylation; Plasmids/metabolism; Potassium/chemistry; Potassium Chloride/*metabolism; Rats; Signal Transduction; Threonine/*metabolism; Time Factors; Transfection; rac1 GTP-Binding Protein/*metabolism; rhoA GTP-Binding Protein/metabolism
- Moesin is a member of the ERM family, a family of cross-linkers between the plasma membrane and the actin cytoskeleton, which are known to be activated by phosphorylation. Previously, we reported the RhoA and Rho kinase-dependent phosphorylation of moesin at Thr-558 in hippocampal neuronal cells by glutamate. Here we studied the induction of moesin phosphorylation by KCl (60 mm) in PC12 cells. Moesin phosphorylation at Thr-558 was increased after 2 min of KCl treatment, peaked at 5 min, and returned to the basal level by 60 min. KCl also activated Rac1, but not RhoA, in PC12 cells, and KCl-induced moesin phosphorylation was suppressed in dominant negative Rac1 (N17 Rac1)-expressed cells. The inhibition of protein kinase A (PKA), known as an upstream kinase of Rac1, abolished Rac1 activation and moesin phosphorylation by KCl. Interestingly, the phosphorylation of moesin by KCl was independent of KCl-induced membrane depolarization and calcium influx but was dependent on KCl-induced chloride conductance. 60 mm KCl induced chloride conductance in PC12 cells, and pretreatment with Cl- channel blocker abolished Rac1 activation and moesin phosphorylation by KCl. These results suggest that the phosphorylation of moesin at Thr-558 in PC12 cells by KCl treatment is PKA- and Rac1-dependent and that KCl-induced chloride conductance is involved in the activation of this signaling system.
- 0021-9258 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.